The Lunar new year in south korea is one of the most important traditional holidays. This year, the celebrations will start on February 1st, 2023 and its holiday will be three days;
one day before the actual Lunar New Year’s Day, the day and 1 day later the day after holiday. People make travel arrangements to visit their hometown by booking bus, train or plane tickets before they run out.
Koreans are busy but food is prepared in advance and people start buying and wrapping gifts for their parents and relatives. Gifts from person to person, but the most common are: “money, ginseng, honey, traditional sweets, dried or fresh seafood, Korean beef and fruits, Health products, massage chairs, and electronics.
Then the family eats different types of food. The main dish for the day is one of the original Korean dishes and is traditionally eaten in the new year, rice cake soup. The clear broth and white rice cakes in Korea are believed to symbolize the beginning of the year with a clean mind and body.
A. Answer these questions.
1.Why did Fanny often lose things?
Fanny often lose things because she was a careless girl.
2.Why did Ethel lend things to Fanny?
Ethel lent things to Fanny because Fanny lost her things and came to borrow them from Ethel.
3.Why didn’t Fanny want to go to the shops without a bag ?
Fanny didn’t want to go to the shops without a bag because she felt very stupid when she hadn’t got
anything in her hand when she went out in the street.’
4.Why didn’t Ethel lend her a bag?
She got tired of lending things to her friend.
5.What did she want Fanny to take to the shops?
She wanted Fanny to take a wheelbarrow to the shops.
6.Did Fanny take it, do you think?
Yes, I think Fanny took it.
B. Which of these sentences are true? Write the correct ones down.
Fanny often borrowed things.
Ethel often lent things to Fanny.
One day Fanny lost her bag.
Fanny liked carrying something in her hand.
There was a shed at the end of Ethel’s garden.
C. Write this story, but do not put pictures: put words.
Ethel’s house is in a small street . It has a small garden
at the back, and there is a shed in it. Ethel keeps her wheelbarrow
there. Ethel is a clever woman. She works in a school.
This is Ethel. She is at the door of her house, and she’s got a bag
in her left hand ? Because she is going to the shopping.
Present Simple Tense
I. Make up your own sentences using Present Simple Tense and make these sentences negative(ժխտական) and interrogative(հարցական).
For example: I always water the flowers.
Do I always water the flowers?
I don’t always water the flowers.
1. I always wake up at 9 o’clock .
2. I don’t always wake up at 9 o’clock. (negative)
3.Do I always wake up at 9 o’clock ?
1.I wake up at 10 o’clock on Mondays.
2. I don’t wake up at 10 o’clock on Mondays.
3. Do I wake up at 10 o’clock on Mondays ?
1. I play football every evening.
2. I don’t play football every evening.
3. Do I play football every morning ?
Present Continuous Tense
I. Make up your own sentences using Present Cont. Tense and make these sentences negative and interrogative.
For example: Ani is reading an interesting book now.
Is Ani reading an interesting book now?
Ani isn’t reading an interesting book now.
- Alex is playing basketball just now.
2. Is Alex playing basketball just now ?
3. Alex isn’t playing basketball just now.
- Aram is writing an interesting book now.
2. Is Aram writing an interesting book now?
3. Aram isn’t writing an interesting book now.
1. Anahit is playing volleyball now.
2. Is Anahit playing volleyball now ?
3. Anahit isn’t playing volleyball now.
Past Simple Tense
I. Make up your own sentences using Past Simple Tense and make these sentences negative and interrogative.
For example: We swam in the swimming-pool last week.
Did we swim in the swimming -pool last week?
We didn’t swim in the swimming-pool last week.
We drove in this street two years ago.
Did we drive in this street two years ago.
We didn’t drive in this street two years ago.
Future Simple Tense
I.Make up your own sentences using Future Simple Tense and make these sentences negative and interrogative.
For example: They will go to the cinema tomorrow evening.
Will they go to the cinema tomorrow evening?
They won’t go to the cinema tomorrow evening.
They will buy this expensive car one week later.
Will they buy this expensive car one week later ?
They won’t buy this expensive car one week later.
We will loan this house two month later.
Will we loan this house two month later
They won’t loan this house two month later.
They will run in competition one hour later.
Will they run in competition one hour later ?
They won’t run in competition one hour later.
I. Տրված բառերը տեղադրեք համապատասխան տեղերում. break, ask, count, answer, discuss, read.
• Students like to …. different problems at the lesson.
• I will ……. the text tomorrow. I am not ready today.
• The longest … in our school is between the fourth and fifth lessons.
• My little sister likes to ……… many questions.
• He can ………. from 1 to 100.
• I like to ……… my teacher’s questions.
II. Ի՞նչ եք կարողանում անել այս տարի, որ չէիք կարողանում անել անցյալ տարի:Օրինակ՝ Last year I couldn’t ride a bke. I can ride a bike now. Թարգմանեք այս նախադասությունները անգլերեն.
Անցյալ տարի ես չէի կարողանում լողալ: Հիմա ես կարողանում եմ լողալ:
Անցյալ տարի ես չէի կարողանում կարդալ անգլերեն գրքեր: Հիմա կարողանում եմ կարդալ անգլերեն գրքեր:
Անցյալ տարի ես չէի կարողանում սահել չմուշկներով . (skate) Հիմա ես կարողանում եմ սահել չմուշկներով:
Անցյալ տարի ես չէի կարողանում դաշնամուր նվագել: Հիմա կարողանում եմ դաշնամուր նվագել: (play the piano)
Անցյալ տարի ես չէի կարողանում ….՞: Հիմա ես կարողանում եմ ….:
III. Ընտրեք նճիշտ հարցը, եթե տրված է այս պատասխանը. My name is John.
Where is your name?
What is your name?
When is your name?
IV Այս երկու բառերից ո՞րն է «new» բառի հականիշը
V. «see» բայի ո՞ր ձևը կտեղադրես այստեղ: I … a funny cartoon yesterday.
Once upon a time there was a boy called Jack. He lived with his
mother. They were very poor. All they had was a cow.
One morning, Jack’s mother told Jack to take their cow to market
and sell her. On the way, Jack met a man. He gave Jack some magic
beans for the cow.
Jack took the beans and went back home. When Jack’s mother saw the beans she was very angry.
She threw the beans out of the window.
The next morning, Jack looked out of the window. There was a giant beanstalk. He went outside and
started to climb the beanstalk.
He climbed up to the sky through the clouds. Jack saw a beautiful castle. He went inside.
Jack heard a voice. ‘Fee, fi, fo, fum!’ Jack ran into a cupboard.
An enormous giant came into the room and sat down. On the table there was a hen and a golden
‘Lay!’ said the giant. The hen laid an egg. It was made of gold. ‘Sing!’ said the giant. The harp began to
sing. Soon the giant was asleep.
Jack jumped out of the cupboard. He took the hen and the harp. Suddenly, the harp sang, ‘Help,
The giant woke up and shouted, ‘Fee, fi, fo, fum!’ Jack ran and started climbing down the beanstalk.
The giant came down after him.
Jack shouted, ‘Mother! Help!’ Jack’s mother took an axe and chopped down the beanstalk. The giant
fell and crashed to the ground. Nobody ever saw him again.
With the golden eggs and the magic harp, Jack and his mother lived happily ever after
(146) 14. Look at the picture below. Using the prompts, write sentences comparing the three girls.
1. Jenny/old/ Emma
Jenny is as old as Emma.
2. Mary/short hair/all
Mary has the shortest hair of all.
Jenny is thinner than Emma.
Mary is taller than Jenny.
Mary is the oldest of all.
Emma is shorter than Jenny.
(150) 5. Compare picture A to picture B as in the example.
1. In picture A, the doll is taller. It has got longer hair. Its dress is shorter.
2. In picture A, the elephant is bigger. It is also more expensive.
3. In picture A, the clown is fatter. It is also happier.
4. In picture A, the balls are smaller. They are also cheaper.
5.In picture A, the train is bigger.
6. In picture A, the soldiers have shorter hats.
14. Put the verbs in brackets into the present simple or the past simple.
1. A: Did you enjoy the film last night?
B: No, I didn’t. It was a horror film.
2. A: Did you go to work yesterday?
B: No I didn’t. I never work on Saturdays.
3. A: Did you see Charles yesterday?
B: Yes. We had lunch together.
4. A: Does Colin work at a bank?
B: No, he doesn’t. He works at a post office.
5. A: What time do you start school every day?
B: Eight o’clock. But yesterday we started at eight thirty
6. A: What do you do at weekends?
B: We usually go to the beach.
7. A: Did you do anything exciting last Saturday?
B: No, not really. I watched TV and read a book.
1 Cars/are safer than motorbikes. Motorbikes are more dangerous than cars. Motorbikes are not as safe as cars.
2 Planes are faster than ships. Ships are slower than planes. Ships are not as fast as planes.
3. Trains are more expensive than buses. Buses are cheaper than trains. Buses are cheaper than trains.